My time spent observing, and helping out in a high school have been.... (I don't know what word to use here).
The first day at school, the phys.ed teacher was away at meetings. So I spent the first two classes helping out the substitute teacher. I felt pretty good after surviving a grade 12 phys.ed class (spent at computers of all things!) without making a fool of myself. And I felt even better after preventing a fight from breaking out in full force between two grade 10 students in the next class (yikes!)(when THAT happened, all I could think was -- "You gotta be kidding me! On my first day!....."). I gave the students 'the benefit of the doubt' and said if it happens again, they're gone... Whatever that means. Then the grade 10 History class (after lunch) spent the whole class wandering the halls making home-made movies for a unit on the Roaring 20's. Which is kinda cool, but left me with absolutely nothing to do. No marking, no supervising, nothing. So that was the first day.
The second day was a little different. I was able to see how the students behaved with their actual phys.ed teacher around (which was a little better). I had to referee a Lacrosse game (which was a subject that the grade 10 boys weren't liking!)(It broke my heart). And grade 10 History was still doing their movies.
It's been an interesting set of days for me, but I still don't feel like I've done much of anything just yet. And I've had lots of time to absorb High School life in general.
And I'm tired for some reason.... (any teachers want to explain that?)
3 comments:
Now he knows how I feel!!
very interesting observation david, I am sure that your conversations at home are changing to I told you David! by the way do you have two cars your driving now??
Yep, Emily, we do have two cars we are driving right now. One is a red Mazda, and the other is a light brown oldsmobile.
Post a Comment