It's been a pretty busy week down here in Jarvis. Not only are Steph and I both teaching, but we've also volunteered to be the Young People's Leaders for our church. It's been busy, but fun!
On Tuesday we took the Young People's bowling in Hamilton (almost all 30 of them came out!). The kids had a blast, and Steph gave me a real run for my money (she scored 109 in her second game!).
Actually, Steph's games were kind of interesting. She spent the entire first game putting a crazy spin on her ball -- that always sent her ball into the gutter in the last 5 feet before it could hit the pins. (Her first game was a real low score....). By the time the second game came around she had figured out what to do about it.... She moved over to the left side of the lane, and let the spin do its magic! She ended up getting a few strikes, and a few spares to really push her game up! It was fun to see! I only beat her in the last 3 frames and scored a 126. Was that mean of me?
My high school placement has been enjoyable. The staff at Smithville are fun teachers who have really made me feel welcome. I've started teaching badminton (which was never my strongest sport...), along with the NEW rules for the game. (Badminton is now, officially, played to 21 points. Every rally results in a point for the winner of the rally).
A few kids were giving me a little grief. Nothing I wouldn't have done in High School. The kids just want to have fun, right? Who needs to practice, let's play! So I've learned that the student's capacity for practice is limited to about 1/2 to 3/4 of the gym period. Then they need to play.
Which I don't mind. As long as they are applying the skills and strategies I'm trying to teach them.
Like I said, it's nothing I didn't give my teachers grief over when I was in High School.
It's interesting that kids just want to play as soon as they get into the gym. It's ingrained in them. So it's actually a little harder to get the few troublemakers... wait, I'll make that playmakers, to stay on task! The funny thing is that the playmakers are becoming my favourite students...!
I love it!
1 comment:
sounds like you two are busy, and having fun! good to hear you are both doing well
Post a Comment