Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Evils of Extra-Curricular Activities

Well, as I'm sure you all know by now....I am in charge of the Christmas Program at our school this year. Let me tell you, this is the craziest thing I have ever done. Though it may have its fun moments, most of them are stressful, especially since we only have two weeks until performance and we're not even close to being ready!
The thing about extra-curricular activities is (actually there's several): 1. teaching in a Christian school requires you to do a certain number of them; 2. teaching in a Christian school where they've recently laid off staff requires you to do more of them than physically possible; an 3. they take time away from the actual job of teaching. Allow me to demonstrate, here is what my day was like today: Christmas Program stuff, more CP stuff, oh that was the bell I should let the kids in....wait a minute, what am I doing today!?!? More Christmas Program stuff, recess: rehearsal, let the kids back in, do more Christmas Program stuff, oops I'm supposed to be teaching right now, lunch recess: yard duty in the freezing cold, more Christmas stuff, French class....what am I doing in French today? More Christmas stuff.....finally the end of the day! But not over yet, after school I had to work on the backdrop for, you guessed it, the Christmas program and plan for tomorrow.
I tell you, by the end of the day, I'm not really sure what I taught and we're still not ready for the Christmas program. Oh well, the show must go on and somehow we'll pull it together!
P.S. If anyone has some good ideas for making quick and easy Roman Soldier costumes, I'd appreciate the tips! (See I'm STILL thinking about the Christmas Program!)

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Steph... I'm not doing the Christmas program, but I know how stressful it is just to stay on top of daily work and keep a classroom in running order so I can imagine! It is super impressive that you are taking this on and glad for the moments that make it fun for you! I hope they will come more often than the stressful moments (though, let's be honest... that's not likely). I'll keep praying that all will turn out well and it will be a night to remember! Keep smiling! I miss you lots and lots!!!!

Crystal said...

Just an idea... Roman costumes... buy toy "armour" and spray paint it gold. Attach a chunk of red fabric as a cape. Wear a red t-shirt underneath. Wear black or brown shorts (skirt?). Criss-cross strips of leather on the calves to look like sandal straps. (Or draw them on with brown marker!) I have no idea if this would work or look good or be simple enough, but thought it might be worth sharing! Love you!

Boeffie, Mei Mei, Gwenda and Laurisse said...

I would imagine you have no budget to work with, so how about shields and swords out of cardboard.
But the best idea I can give you is to delegate the work to one or a group of moms. Tell them what you need and by when you need it and let them do the work! (this is how its done for our church's children's play and guess who gets to do it!) After all you are busy getting the production done....

Emily and Martin said...

Steph, I second and firm up the comment from Aunt Gwenda, DELEGATE!!! Good luck....that is the best I can do. keep smiling..
Hugs from ME