Saturday, September 5, 2009

Satisfaction

The golf course, is one of those places. Where, you can hate something sooo much, but still really have to love it.
Maybe it's part of our instinct, that, if we really suck at something, we need to improve, if only to prove it to ourselves, and thereby get satisfaction.
So satisfaction may be the key to a healthy golf game. When you walk off the course, satisfied, well, there's just something to it. If you walk off the course dissatisfied, well, you'll stay bitter until you get back out there and do it better.
Yesterday, I walked off the course satisfied for two reasons.
1) I started off the game with horrible drives off the tee. (The kind of drives that don't make it past the women's tees)(and worse, didn't even go in a straight line to get there...). This was leaving me terribly unsatisfied ~ because the last time I had been using my driver ~~ a year ago ~~ I had been making pin-straight 200 yard drives. It was costing me my game. My satisfaction. Fortunately, after a Brutal score on the front nine, I managed to regain some of the form I had with a driver one year ago. My back nine score made a dramatic improvement.
2) My short game had made some huge improvements ~ such that I was becoming extremely confident with my sand and lob wedges (Christmas present from Stevin a couple years ago - thanks Stevin). This resulted in one particularly memorable 30 yard chip-in for birdie that was just, oh-so-satisfying.

Now, I'm left feeling unsatisfied because I am at home, on a computer, instead of being on the golf course. Golf, anyone?

No comments: