Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Summer Evangelism in the CRC?

I think what is great about the Christian Reformed Church is the quite solid theology that it stands on. Unfortunately, I think the CRC has some learning to do when it comes to 'evangelism' - that is, sharing the gospel in a non-confrontational, and non-condemning manner.
I think anyone who knows the CRC and attends faithfully, can attest to the fact that not many new faces (from outside of the CRC) show up at our church services. Which is dissappointing for some, and doesn't concern others - after all - theres mission shares that our church gives money to, and they do a lot. (On the flip side of that thought - It's interesting that we send missionaries to other countries, to do things, that we don't do at home. Maybe we should designate a portion of our finances to a missionary for our own community... Or is that the pastor's duty?)
So, there's good things in our church, and there's things our churches could work on.

It's been on my mind lately that the church building itself, may be one of the expendable assets a church can have.
Certainly, there is a necessity to a church building - it provides shelter, and a place to congregate.
But it's also an intimidating place for the un-churched, or churched-and-left-the-church sort of folk. Inside the church is a routine that many un-churched people don't relate to, or don't identify with.
It's also a place where the 'faithful' can worship in a visible, yet very much hidden from view way. (The Church invisible).

So I've been wondering if there is a better place for the church to congregate.

I don't think I would be wrong in saying that at many CRC's the sunday-evening worship service, attendance has been declining, or abandoned.

My thought is that we should start making the church more visible. What we do, what we're about, who we support, what we donate our money to. Show the communities around us that we're not really a bunch of stuck up snobs, but humble-sinners trying to do good things the best we know how kinda-people.

I'm thinking we should light a fire.

Literally.

I think we should start a fire, every sunday evening, and bring our lawnchairs, and maybe some food. And invite people to sit around a campfire with us, and listen to the pastor's sermon, and then ask questions about the sermon, and maybe sing a folk song or to, or maybe don't.

In fact, we could have multiple fires, every sunday. Each of the Elders and Deacons in the church could host a campfire, and be the designated reader of the sermon, prepared by the pastor. And if people have big questions, they could be invited to the church to talk to the pastor directly.

If not a fire. Then why not a picnic, at the local park, every sunday afternoon - where everyone brings a lawnchair. We sit, have a little food. The pastor reads a sermon. Everyone applauds the sermon, and then enjoys a game of frisbee.
Think about it - People walking their dogs on a Sunday afternoon might ask questions.
There could even be a few signs to say - "We are First CRC, Barrie, come join us and ask questions!" or "We support the Pregnancy Crisis Centre downtown - have you been there? Do you have questions?"
and stuff like that.

I'm not saying that it needs to be a permanent set-up... But I would propose that it be consistent during good weather. Like 4 or 5 Sundays throughout the summer. So that people can start depending on the church being seen there.

Its an idea. Even if it reaches just one more person.

1 comment:

Emily and Martin said...

I think you have something there David, awesome pints, I have a huge urge to try and spread this idea to everyone!!! Very inspiring...
Emily