Monday, January 7, 2008

F.Y.I.: Parents

Alright all you parents: I'm sure that you've sent your kids to school telling them NOT to talk about something specific that may go on at your house. You're trying to instill in them a sense of personal/family privacy.
Well as a Grade 3 teacher, I'm here to inform you that they don't get it! They really do go to school and talk about things that they probably shouldn't! Let me tell you, being the teacher at times such as those isn't the greatest either! I know things about some households that I KNOW I shouldn't know!
I started a unit today on Drugs and Medicines. We started by discussing prescription drugs and over-the-counter medicines. Well, my class likes to share, they like to make real-life connections to concepts and share them with all of us. Most of the time I encourage that...today however.....not so much! I got a lot of "My dad takes medicine for this....," "My mom has this problem and takes medicine at breakfast and dinner for this," "My Grandma takes like 10 pills a day" (which I'm sure is an exaggeration!). Anyways, the unnecessary comments just kept coming! No matter how many times I said, "I don't want to know what medications your parents are taking and for what" that sense of personal privacy was not getting through to them.
So now that I have a much more in-depth knowledge of the parents in my class, I'm begging you: Please don't tell your children things you don't want them to repeat, because you can bet they'll repeat it!

No comments: