Saturday, June 6, 2009

Keeping Busy

It's been a little hard to think of anything creative to write about these past months, so we'll just update everyone on what's been keeping us busy lately...

Watching the grass grow - literally. We had some leftover topsoil from our gardening endeavours, and spread it around a few areas of our yard. Then I threw some grass seed overtop and watered it a couple times and IT'S TAKING FOREVER to grow! It's actually only been about two weeks, but this brings me to the next topic.

Our garden - sometimes it seems that plants take forever to grow. Like, we put the plants in the ground two weeks ago, but they're all still the same size. At least... they look like they're still the same size. It's not like I'm measuring... But still, I want to see exponential growth with some of these plants and it's just not happening.

Some of the plants I want to see growth with more than others. A recent experiment of our gardens has been to branch into a few vegetable plants as well. These vegetable plants are where I really want to see a lot of growth happening. But there's no sign that we'll be harvesting anything soon. Which is too bad, because Barbeque season is in full force for us (mostly because we're too lazy to spend any time in the kitchen lately).

Baseball - actually, slow pitch... Known for standing at the plate and waiting FOREVER for the ball to reach you so you can whack it into outerspace... I was invited to join the slowpitch team for our church - this is the first season they've had a team... And we've lost a number of games. But we're making improvements. I'm just happy that my swing has improved a little and my confidence is improving at the plate. But no home-runs for me. Not even close.

Soccer - I was also invited to join our church's soccer team. Which has extended Steph's tolerance of my athletic endeavours to the LIMIT. But I'm enjoying it because I've never really played any summer sports since I was 8 years old. So I'm treating it as professional development for a wanna-be phys.ed. teacher. You learn quickly in a game setting. So far our team has won 1 and lost 1 and rained out 1. So, not a bad record.

Thinking - about ideas for a Petra story. Any ideas out there? (when Petra was born, we gave Naomi a story about Naomi who fly's by the seat of her pants - now it's Petra's turn to get a story). I'm thinking of a mystery story, but need more of a plot.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Story for Petra? How about one where a little girl learns how great clothes are... we've been struggling to keep her dressed lately... maybe she'll take it better from Uncle David than us.

MaryAnn said...

another item for the story: Petra hums or sings - a lot - while she plays by herself. jAnd when she is dressed in her jeans coveralls, she loves to tuck her hands into the bib part, like a big pocket.