Friday, February 13, 2009

The Chronicles of a Driveway in Barrie

I used to really like winter. It was a chance for all things wintery to be done.
Now, today...
I'm not so sure. With the recent thaw that Ontario experienced, I found myself having a few mixed emotions.
On the one hand -- everything was thawing out -- and I still hadn't used the outdoor rink (in the park a couple houses away from our home), nor had I been able to go tobogganing down the Sunnidale Hill, which appears to be quite treacherous, and therefore suitable for sledding.
On the other hand -- I inwardly, and without contemplation, found myself really happy that the snow was melting. In fact, I couldn't wait. I wanted it all to go, you see, because the snowbanks on both sides of our driveway were already so high that I couldn't push the snow over the hills anymore. I'd even carved the snowbanks in half and relocated the snow so it covered my entire front lawn! (this relocation actually did a bit of damage to my shovels...) So I was happy to see it go.
Unfortunately, not all of it left.
In fact, after the warm weather went away, it left behind a layer of slushy-snow, that became snowy-ice on the driveway. I hoped it would just melt away, so I didn't shovel it off. But it didn't go away. Instead it got packed down. And it's lumpy. So now my driveway is in the worst condition it's ever been.
Thanks - winter.
On the other hand - maybe I'll still get to go skating on the outdoor rink, and maybe get a toboggan run in before February is over. I suppose there's still a lot of cold yet to come, eh?

No comments: