I have found that, of late, I cannot tolerate Santa Claus. Okay... that's a bit harsh. I still like Tim Allen as Santa Clause. And I still like the Grinch as Santa Claus. But overall, I'm quite fed up with the guy.
A thought has been creeping, ever so slowly into my head that perhaps we as Christians are too tolerant of Santa. And today, in a Christmas assembly (in a public school) that featured 'Christmas Carols' about Santa... I had enough. I didn't sing them. I only sang the two songs about Jesus. And that was it. It disgusts me that students know more songs about Santa coming to town, and down through the chimney, and not crying because they won't get presents, than they do about Christ our Saviour.
On the other hand. In a public school... they at least sang Away in a Manger (the first verse) and Silent Night (the first verse). Is that something?
2 comments:
It is amazing that you got to sing those two songs!
I guess that's why I'm really enjoying Go Fish's song "Christmas with a Capital C" this year!
Perhaps we should start telling people that the original Santa loved the Lord and became a bishop - thus the red and white!
Post a Comment