Sunday, October 19, 2008

Yet another book - but a different review.

So Steph has been reading a series that starts with "The City of Ember," which also recently became an interesting study in how Hollywood can take a good book and totally butcher it on the big screen.
I knew that Steph wanted to see this movie, for lack of anything else interesting to see in Hollywood, and the fact that we had gift certificates.
I had yet to read the book. So yesterday, during a number of breaks I took while sanding and painting our new garage closet, I read the book.
It was a good book, and I thought it would be a good movie. So we went.
Ten minutes into the movie, both Steph and I looked at each other and said, "What is this?"
The movie butchered the book. They lopped it up and put it back together with a few extra ingredients - Like a random mutant gopher that feasts on people? The book doesn't have any mutant animals!!!
They also invented entirely new characters, and abandoned the entire conclusion of the book.
So, we DO NOT recommend watching the movie. You'll walk away terribly upset with Hollywood.

1 comment:

Tanya Gwen Minnick said...

DAVE!! LOL I didn't know it was YOU who left a comment...how sneaky of you!!! Yes, the snake was neat- I take it you are not scared of them either.....well just little ones for me. Bigger ones might make me shreak!
How are you doing? you both look great!
have not seen you in forever!! congrats on your new neice! she is beautiful~
keep in touch!! miss you
xo