Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Joys of Supply Teaching

Ever since Christmas, I have benefitted from the generosity of a teacher and class that has started to like me and call me back somewhat frequently. I've really appreciated this, as I get to move from 'provider of crosswords and word searches' to somewhat of a 'teacher'. The students have been getting to know me, and I have been getting to know them. And that's good for everyone.

Today was a special day, because the class was going to the library. I knew that they were going to the library - and so I prepared myself to take the 7/8 students (22 of them) on a 20 minute walk in the cold early hours of the morning (9:00 am).
What did we find out after walking 20 minutes through downtown Barrie?

That the Library doesn't open for another half hour.

3 comments:

Katrina said...

You'd think the library would open at 9:30... I thought so anyways... I remember showing up there with Naomi once at 9:30, and a lovely temper tantrum followed the discovery of the locked doors, and Naomi's realization that my keys wouldn't open them.

Emily and Martin said...

oops, at least you didn't have to deal with a 3yr old's temper tantrum....
Glad you've been getting a consistent teaching job.

Promatt said...

That is great that you are being called back. With 100 teachers on the list in Durham I know the feeling. Going to the same school tomorrow for the 4 day in a row.